Sunday, May 24, 2015

Spend Time Outside Every Day


One of the best parts about growing up in California was that the weather encouraged me to spend most of my time outdoors. My family often took our meals on the back patio; we played outside, relaxed outside, and enjoyed the nearby beaches and woods. Even the schools I attended, K-12, had open-air breezeways instead of closed hallways, and we ate lunch sitting outside nearly every day. Now, when I return to my parents' house to visit, one of the things I most look forward to is being in my childhood backyard, soaking up a wee bit of California sun.

I moved to Oregon in 2002, and with the exception of two years in Europe, I've lived in the Pacific Northwest ever since. It took quite some time for me to adjust to the cooler temperatures and longer stretches of gray, wet weather. I honestly didn't own a rain jacket or anything made of fleece or wool before my first winter in Portland. And while I loved my new pristine and green environment, I didn't like spending so much time cooped up, feeling that it was too cold or wet to be outdoors. 

Luckily the man I married grew up in Oregon, was a Boy Scout, Eagle Scout, and finally an Army Ranger, so his outdoorsman-ship has encouraged me to embrace the weather year-round. I've learned that you aren't going to melt if you're in the rain, and you can be comfortable outside in almost any kind of weather as long as you have the right clothing and footwear. I've traded in my California shorts, tanks, flip-flops, and bikinis for seasonal scarves, coats, sweaters, and boots. I have to admit that I now prefer having four distinct seasons and different wardrobes for each to the perpetual sunshine of my youth, and I certainly appreciate sunny days more in the Northwest than I did in California.

One of my favorite things to do on sunny days is to eat meals outside, especially breakfast and dinner. There's no better way to start the day than to eat breakfast in the backyard, listening to birds chirping in the fresh morning air as you sip a hot beverage and welcome the day. Likewise, eating dinner al fresco as the sky shifts from day to night, savoring a glass of wine can be a magical experience. Whenever I can, I eat outdoors.

I think we can all agree that there are countless ways to enjoy being out in the open air when the weather is nice. However, it can take extra motivation, preparation, and creativity to genuinely embrace the outdoors when the weather is less than ideal. 


Here are this California girl's tips for getting out there rain or shine:

1. The hardest part of getting outside when it's cold or wet is convincing yourself to do it. 

I know this debate because I still have it with myself from time to time. You think, "It's wet and cold outside; it's dry and cozy inside," and then you look out the window, maybe you check the forecast on your smart phone. But when you finally get over the mental hurdle, suit up for the weather, and go for a walk, a jog, or work in the garden, you realize that it isn't as dismal as you imagined. 

2. You'll always be glad that you did it.

This is a good to reminder when you're debating whether or not to head out. It's always invigorating to spend time in the fresh air. Even if you need to change your clothes when you come back inside, you'll feel better than you did before you went out, and you will appreciate your cozy home even more.

3. Invest in clothes and footwear suited to the weather where you live.

Once you have the appropriate accouterments for your climate, you won't have as many excuses for staying in. Plus, if you purchase items that you really love, you'll look forward to getting opportunities to wear them. I recently upgraded to a pair of Hunter rain boots that I had been wanting for some time, and now I look forward to the rain because I get to wear them.

4. Having a standing date with a companion is a great incentive to get outside.

For me, this is my daily walk with my dog, but for you it could be a daily run with a friend or doing yard work with a family member. When someone else is counting on you, it keeps you accountable, and it's motivating to spend time with your companion, four-legged or two-legged. 

Outdoor Time and the Paleo Approach

In The Paleo Approach, Sarah Ballantyne writes, "...the best thing you can do to protect your circadian rhythms is to be exposed to sunlight during the day and to be in a very dark environment at night." She suggests we spend at least 15 minutes outside every day, but the more time, the better. Getting sunlight during the day provides us with UV radiation and blue wavelengths of light. UVB comes from the sun and stimulates vitamin D production, which in turn helps regulate our hormones (such as the happiness hormone-serotonin) and our circadian rhythms (which directly affect sleep quality, alertness, cognition, and mood). Even when it's cloudy, you will obtain some UVB and vitamin D benefits.

Did you know that very few foods contain vitamin D? According to the National Institutes of Health, the best nutritional source for vitamin D is fatty fish or fish liver oils, and the next best sources come from beef liver, egg yolks, cheese, some mushrooms, and animal products. Vitamin D is essential to our health, yet many people with autoimmune diseases are vitamin D deficient. Whether or not you are living with an autoimmune disease, ensure you get enough vitamin D by incorporating plenty of these foods into your diet, getting lots of sunlight, taking a vitamin D supplement, or all of the above.

Outdoor Time and French Living

French women know how to enjoy the outdoors, using their feet to get around and their heads to know how to take pleasure in caring for their bodies. In French Women for All Seasons, Mireille Guiliano writes, "The sun is essential for our synthesis of vitamin D, without which our bones would turn to coral. So you should make sure to get some, but limit your exposure...take extra pains to protect your face and hands, and neither a sun worshipper nor vampire be."

Nothing says carpe diem like embracing whatever the day has in store for you. There are some things we can't control, and the weather is most definitely one of those. Think of each day as a gift. We can look at the wrapping paper and think, "hmm, no thanks," and throw it away, or we can open it up and appreciate it. Don't let ugly wrapping paper--bad weather--prevent you from seizing the day. Go outside. Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment