I love asparagus, and no foods say "springtime" to me more than asparagus and strawberries. Although I've loved asparagus since I was a kid, I became especially fond of it when I was living in Germany.
The spring of my year in Germany, I saw two words everywhere: Spargel (asparagus) and Erdbeeren (strawberries). I'd go so far as to say that Germany is overcome with springtime Spargel and Erdbeeren mania. I have a sister-in-law who has lived in Germany for 6 years now, and she agrees; it's some kind of phenomenon. There, however, the more common asparagus is the thick white kind, which they serve with Hollandaise sauce, and it's often paired with potatoes and pork. It's delicious!
The spring during which I was living in Saarlouis, one of my brothers came to visit me. It was a wonderful visit, and we were able to share meals with my host family and two different sets of relatives. I kid you not--at each of these meals, the specialty du jour was Spargel with Hollandaise, potatoes, and pork, with Erdbeeren for dessert. What's more is that the meals were dinner one night, followed by dinner the next evening, and then lunch the following day! On the way to the airport, my brother said, "If Lufthansa serves Spargel for the in-flight meal, I just might lose my mind." Ever since, this experience in Germany, I associate spring with...Spargel and Erdbeeren.
This soup is a light and bright first course, and it's a yummy way to get your Spargel fix. Potato, pork, and Erdbeere accompaniments are optional. This recipe makes about 6 cups of soup. Guten Appetit!
Ingredients
2 lb green asparagus
1 T coconut oil
1 c chopped sweet onion
3 1/2 c chicken stock
Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper (omit for AIP)
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
Directions
- Snap off the tough, woody, ends of the asparagus and discard. Cut the remaining asparagus into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft. Do not let the onions caramelize or burn.
- Add the broth, asparagus, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the asparagus is tender.
- In a blender, food processor, or food mill, carefully purée the soup smooth. You may need to do this in batches.
- Stir in the lemon juice and any additional salt and black pepper (if using) to taste.
- Serve hot or chilled.

No comments:
Post a Comment