"Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush." ~Doug Larson
There's nothing like the first day of the year that truly feels like spring. I don't know about you, but when spring is in the air, I just want to shed my winter layers and be outside. To me, spring is the most delicate and feminine time of year, and it's a time to savor! Here are some of the ways I like to celebrate spring:
Seasonal Sights, Sounds, & Smells
Spring awakens the senses! Seeing flowers begin to poke out of the ground is one of the first signs that spring is on the way. Flowers seem to bloom in every corner, and they're such a sensual treat--crocuses, daffodils, tulips, pansies, hyacinths, I love them all! Blossoming trees are magical too. It puts a big smile on my face to walk on the carpets of petals they create. Even when it's raining, there is beauty to be found, see if you can catch some rainbows! Nature is full of visual treats during spring. You'll also see more people out and about, working in the garden, sitting outdoors at restaurants and cafés. The sights and smells of spring are lovely, but be sure to listen for chirping birds and lawnmowers--some of the true sounds of spring. The sound of rain is soothing, and it can feel luxurious to be inside with a lit candle and a cup of tea when it's raining outsisde. Being out in the rain is a sweet way to feel spring on your skin and wake yourself up too! Try to make time every day to notice how the outdoors are changing; I guarantee it will give you a peaceful moment.
Be sure to bring spring indoors too! It's great fun to buy some inexpensive, closed daffodils at the store, and put them in water to watch bloom on your dining room table. Of all the lovely spring flowers, I adore lilacs the most--they smell heavenly and are such a lovely color. I like having little bouquets of them around the house to spread the spring cheer. Along with some good spring cleaning, consider changing your decor by using spring-colored linens. Trade in your flannel sheets for cotton, when the temperature allows for it. Change your soaps and shower products to floral fragrances. Let the season envelope you!
Be sure to bring spring indoors too! It's great fun to buy some inexpensive, closed daffodils at the store, and put them in water to watch bloom on your dining room table. Of all the lovely spring flowers, I adore lilacs the most--they smell heavenly and are such a lovely color. I like having little bouquets of them around the house to spread the spring cheer. Along with some good spring cleaning, consider changing your decor by using spring-colored linens. Trade in your flannel sheets for cotton, when the temperature allows for it. Change your soaps and shower products to floral fragrances. Let the season envelope you!
Exciting Eats
In spring, everything seems more delicate, even the food. We get to indulge in tender asparagus, baby greens, peas, leeks, radishes, fresh herbs, meyer lemons, strawberries, and rhubarb, amongst other seasonal delights. It's a welcome change from the heaviness of winter. Enjoy fresh, light fare, such as soups, salads, egg dishes, fish, chicken, ham, lamb, fruit compotes and mousses. I have plenty of favorite spring dishes that I look forward to making every year.
Search for recipes labeled "spring" on this blog!
Apparel Adjustments
Search for recipes labeled "spring" on this blog!
Apparel Adjustments
Right before a new season begins, I love to take my clothing for that season out of storage and lay it out. Seeing all of the pieces is like Christmas or a reunion with old friends. I switch out wardrobe items, cleaning and storing the things I won't be wearing for a while, donating the pieces that are ready to be retired, pressing and hanging up the new line up, and taking mental notes of what, if any, items I might want to add.
Changing from winter to spring, I like to bring in some lighter pieces--cropped pants, skirts, dresses, sweaters, silk and cotton scarves--in soft colors. Knowing that spring weather is notoriously schizophrenic, it's important to have items that layer well. As for shoes and outerwear, it's good to have your bases covered for the weather too--rain boots (hello, Oregon), ballet flats, sandals, trench coat, light-mid weight jacket. Taking the feminine cues from nature, it can be fun to adjust your accessories, make up, and nails, using romantic touches like shades of pink. Go for soft, touchable hairstyles and floral notes in your fragrance.
Changing from winter to spring, I like to bring in some lighter pieces--cropped pants, skirts, dresses, sweaters, silk and cotton scarves--in soft colors. Knowing that spring weather is notoriously schizophrenic, it's important to have items that layer well. As for shoes and outerwear, it's good to have your bases covered for the weather too--rain boots (hello, Oregon), ballet flats, sandals, trench coat, light-mid weight jacket. Taking the feminine cues from nature, it can be fun to adjust your accessories, make up, and nails, using romantic touches like shades of pink. Go for soft, touchable hairstyles and floral notes in your fragrance.
Adventures & Activities
- Enjoy the blossoms and weather (even the rain): go for a walk, run, hike, or ride your bike
- Explore your local farmers' market
- Work in your garden, even a container garden (in summer you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor)
- On a sunny day, have a picnic in the park
- Do some deep cleaning--you'll be so glad you did
- Get together with friends to play a sport or a game
- Sit outdoors at a café
How do you celebrate spring? What do you enjoy the most about the season? Please share in the comments below.

No comments:
Post a Comment