| Gus: my walking companion |
Daily walking became a part of my life when I moved to Salzburg, Austria. My friends and I walked and rode trains everywhere we went. Walking was just something we did; we didn't consider alternative modes of transportation. In fact, I only recall being in a car one time during my entire 8 months in Salzburg, and it was when I rode a taxi to the airport to pick up my visiting parents! When I returned to the United States, my friends commented that I had lost weight even though I was eating rich Austrian food and drinking beer and wine. It was because I was always moving!
I experienced the same walking culture when I lived in Saarlouis, Germany. I walked 2 miles to and from work every day, I walked to all of my appointments and errands, and I walked for leisure, exploring my neighborhood. I was again effortlessly slim and energetic. A day without a long walk felt incomplete!
Now I readily admit that walking is an easier pursuit in places like Europe, big cities, and some small towns. In my experience, most everywhere in the USA is definitely built for cars! Things are quite spread apart, and walking to your regular destinations isn't always possible. In some places, there aren't even sidewalks! If walking to work or to shop isn't an option, taking the time to go for a daily stroll is easy to do.
In my current situation, I need to drive to work, however, I look forward to going on a walk every day when I get home. I also have a furry friend wagging when I get home, waiting for me to take him on an adventure, so that's extra motivation. I can't let Gus down, just look at that sweet face! In addition to my daily walks with Gus, I sometimes walk during my lunch break, and on weekends I do as many of my errands on foot as I can. I try to hit my feet to the pavement as often as possible.
I experienced the same walking culture when I lived in Saarlouis, Germany. I walked 2 miles to and from work every day, I walked to all of my appointments and errands, and I walked for leisure, exploring my neighborhood. I was again effortlessly slim and energetic. A day without a long walk felt incomplete!
Now I readily admit that walking is an easier pursuit in places like Europe, big cities, and some small towns. In my experience, most everywhere in the USA is definitely built for cars! Things are quite spread apart, and walking to your regular destinations isn't always possible. In some places, there aren't even sidewalks! If walking to work or to shop isn't an option, taking the time to go for a daily stroll is easy to do.
In my current situation, I need to drive to work, however, I look forward to going on a walk every day when I get home. I also have a furry friend wagging when I get home, waiting for me to take him on an adventure, so that's extra motivation. I can't let Gus down, just look at that sweet face! In addition to my daily walks with Gus, I sometimes walk during my lunch break, and on weekends I do as many of my errands on foot as I can. I try to hit my feet to the pavement as often as possible.
Here are some of the reasons why walking is awesome:
1) It's free: no money is needed to buy gas or a fare.
2) It's convenient: no coordination is necessary, just put on some shoes and walk out the door.
3) It's social: walking with a friend is a great way to spend time together or a way to get to know neighbors.
4) It's interesting: you notice more about your surroundings when you're walking, discovering different shops, cafés, and businesses to visit, and you appreciate architecture, nature, and your surroundings.
5) It's practical: by walking different routes, you learn about parks, shortcuts, and neighborhoods in your area.
6) It's relaxing: fresh air provides your brain and circulatory system with fresh oxygen, and moving is a stress-buster.
7) It's healthy: walking just 30-minutes a day has been proven to improve your health in myriad ways, including maintaining a healthy weight.
8) It's stimulating: going out on your own (or with a dog) is a great time to think. I get many of my best ideas when I'm walking--including the idea for this blog!
9) It's easy: as long as you're able to walk, you can do it, no matter your age, fitness ability, or level of motivation.
8) It's stimulating: going out on your own (or with a dog) is a great time to think. I get many of my best ideas when I'm walking--including the idea for this blog!
9) It's easy: as long as you're able to walk, you can do it, no matter your age, fitness ability, or level of motivation.
Walking and the Paleo Approach
Regular exercise is an important part of healthy living, and this is especially true during the Paleo Approach, when you're trying to help your body heal. However, while following the protocol, exercise should be mild to moderate. Intense exercise puts stress on the body, which can be fine if you're healthy, but not if you are trying to let your body heal from disease. Going for a daily walk is an ideal way to get regular, mild exercise.
The Paleo Approach also highlights the importance of getting vitamin D by spending time outside every day, and spending time outdoors helps balance circadian rhythms. So while walking on a treadmill or indoors is beneficial, walking outdoors is optimal, yes, even if it's raining. Invest in some good wardrobe options for inclement weather.
Walking and French Living
Walking is absolutely chic! You can do it in street clothes--no frumpy clothes or gym gear necessary. While walking, you can see and be seen and appreciate art and architecture. It's effortless and enjoyable exercise--absolutely the French way, plus a slight flush in your cheeks looks healthy. Explore your neighborhood, get to know local businesses, become a part of your environment. Walking is also the perfect way to experience the season (my favorite reason)! Take notice of the beauty of the season, breathe, and feel yourself become mindful. La vie est belle!
Need extra motivation? Watch the 30-minute Every Body Walk Documentary!
No comments:
Post a Comment